Cellier Australie-Nouvelle Zélande et Don Melchor 2005

Sujets généraux sur le vin.
Répondre
Dantès
A remercié : 0
A été remercié : 0

Cellier Australie-Nouvelle Zélande et Don Melchor 2005

Message par Dantès » jeu. 17 avr. 2008 11:58

La SAQ vient de me confirmer que le prochain thème de la revue Cellier suivant le prochain (espagne et Portugal) sera sur l'Australie et la Nouvelle-Zélande et la date de relâchement serait le 6 novembre.

De plus, le Don Melchor 2005 y serait inscrit.

Collin_Maillard

Re: Cellier Australie-Nouvelle Zélande et Don Melchor 2005

Message par Collin_Maillard » jeu. 17 avr. 2008 12:39

Dantès a écrit :De plus, le Don Melchor 2005 y serait inscrit.
J'espère que ça sera pas l'hiver aprce qu'il va faire frette dans le line up...

Greppone 4

Message par Greppone 4 » jeu. 17 avr. 2008 13:48

En voilà un qui me fera économiser. :|

Greppone 4
There Someone in my head but it's not me.

Léoville
A remercié : 1 fois

Message par Léoville » jeu. 17 avr. 2008 18:45

Greppone 4 a écrit :En voilà un qui me fera économiser. :|
Sans avoir pris connaissance de son contenu ???

Greppone 4

Message par Greppone 4 » jeu. 17 avr. 2008 21:20

Léoville a écrit :
Greppone 4 a écrit :En voilà un qui me fera économiser. :|
Sans avoir pris connaissance de son contenu ???
Je ne suis pas amateur de vins Australiens alors mes économies viendront de là.

Greppone 4
There Someone in my head but it's not me.

dzitt

Message par dzitt » jeu. 17 avr. 2008 21:23

Ca peut être intéressant dans le cadre d'une découverte...

dzitt
dansmonverre.ca

Bordeaux70
A été remercié : 1 fois

Message par Bordeaux70 » jeu. 17 avr. 2008 21:59

Le Don est spécial. Il faut le goûter. L'An dernier, j'ai acheté quelques bouteilles de 1995 et la revue disait des les boire maintenant, qu'il était sur la fi de son plateau.

Rien à voir. J'en ai bu quelques bouteilles et couché celles qui me restaient.

Temis

Message par Temis » ven. 18 avr. 2008 14:37

Le Don est magnifique en effet. Je vais faire la file même à -30 s'il le faut. Je dois rajouter aux deux 2005 que j'ai rapporté du Panama.

Le 95 était fabuleux. Va falloir être patient encore avec le 2005...

Don Max

Message par Don Max » dim. 20 avr. 2008 23:09

Un texte intéressant de James Molesworth, le critique du WS pour les vins d'Amérique du Sud, sur l'élaboration du Don Melchor.

Don Max

Posted Dec 08, 2005 09:44 AM

I sat down yesterday with Enrique Tirado, the head winemaker for Concha y Toro who is primarily responsible for the Don Melchor Cabernet Sauvignon. His first vintage of DM was ’97, and he’s spent his time since then learning the ins and out of the Puente Alto vineyard that provides the fruit for the wine.

The vineyard was first planted in 1979, and with its alluvial soil and gravel base, it’s a prime spot for Cabernet production. There are 280 acres of vines, primarily Cabernet Sauvignon with one parcel of Cabernet Franc (the wine is typically 90 percent or more Cabernet Sauvignon, depending on the vintage). In the early days of the wine, the vineyard was typically picked all at once, but Tirado has used soil analysis and satellite imaging to isolate different soil types in the vineyard as well as outline different parcels (and blocks within these parcels) of vines. This all helps to determine the optimum picking time for each parcel or block, all of which are then vinified separately, giving Tirado 60 to 80 lots of wines (and 60 to 80 lots of additional press wine as well) from which to craft the final blend of Don Melchor.

At our sit down, we tasted representative samples of the ’05 vintage from each of the 7 parcels that Tirado has separated the vineyard into. 2005 is a strong year for Chile, with Maipo Cabs at the top of the heap. Tirado feels he finally has a handle on the vineyard (he’s a humble guy, considering how good this wine has been since he’s taken over) and is very happy with ’05. Following are some brief comments on the barrel samples.

Parcel 1: The first vines planted in the Puente Alto vineyard, this parcel only has 2,000 vines per hectare and deeper soils than the rest of the vineyard. It’s plush and creamy with lots of black cherry fruit and soft structure.

Parcel 2: Parcels 2 and up are planted at twice the density of Parcel 1 (on average) and are in shallower soils. This is brighter and has noticeably fresher acidity.

Parcel 3: Very racy, with lots of red currant and spice, and firmer tannins. Both parcels 2 and 3 are at the eastern side of the vineyard, and can vary up to 3 degrees in temperature from the western parcels (which are further from the cool breeze that comes down off the Andes).

Parcel 4: Rich plum with loamy hints. More bass than treble here.

Parcel 5: Tight and racy, with long, silky tannins.

Parcel 6: Very briary, with loam and mint and chewier structure. Big blast of fruit on the finish.

Parcel 7: This is the Cabernet Franc parcel. Impressive ripeness (%14 alcohol in ‘05, usually in the mid-13s) with dark, juicy fruit and tobacco lingering on the finish.

All the parcels showed different characteristics, but still maintain a common thread as well – what Tirado calls the Don Melchor personality.

The bottom line is Tirado now has this vineyard finely tuned along with nearly a decade of experience with it – these things take time. The Don Melchor has the longest track record of any of the heavy hitters from South America, and Concha y Toro is committed to quality.

Of course, it will be some time before the ‘05 is released, but the ’01 (95 pts) can still be found and the ’02 (92 pts) is also outstanding. The ’03 also shows terrific potential based on the barrel samples I’ve tried.

This all adds up to a superb $45 wine (current price for the ’02) that offers, fruit, distinctive terroir and the ability to age well for 5-10 years. With 10,000+ cases made every year, it’s easy to find - so this is a great opportunity for those just starting out to begin building a vertical of world class Cabernet in their cellar, without breaking the bank.

--JM

http://forums.winespectator.com/eve/for ... /311105243

Répondre